Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Jonny Lee Miller vs. Benedict Cumberbatch: Their Version of Sherlock

Personally, I love all versions of Sherlock, it doesn't matter to me who it is as long as it's Sherlock Holmes. It's argued that Benedict's Sherlock is better than Jonny's Sherlock, but most probably say that because they haven't even seen Elementary. So I'm here to show you that both Sherlocks have their similarities, but they also have their differences. I think of it as a good thing. They took the time to develop their character enough where it's still Sherlock Holmes, only their interpretation of him.


Jonny's Sherlock
His version is basically the Sherlock that hides his feelings. That's typical of Sherlock, isn't it? He cares for Watson, and never would want anything bad to happen to her. He might not say it out loud, but I, as the audience, know how he feels without him saying a single word. This is how he expresses himself: body language. It makes sense to me that he, being the deductionist he is, would express himself in this way. He always talks about how he can read body language, and that more is spoken without anything said. Jonny's Sherlock proves that point.
He fights for the people he cares about, and is very protective of them (ex. Irene and Watson). Yet, he would never tell them how he feels. Not really. It's all just words to him. He might SAY one thing, but he'll DO something else. I can't tell you enough how many times I've been like, "What are you saying Sherlock? That's so unlike you!" Just to see that he's doing something else that is completely within his character. Basically, words mean nothing to this version of Sherlock, and body language is absolutely imperative. 
I love this version of Sherlock. It shows a whole new perspective of him that I would have never imagined. He's a secretly sweet guy, but he would never admit it. No words are the best words in my book for this form of Sherlock. 
So if you're expecting him to say something, don't expect it. Wish for the moments he doesn't say a word, and you'll see what I mean. 


Benedict's Sherlock
He's basically the Sherlock that, as my sibling would put it, "Wears his heart on his sleeve." And I absolutely agree. He's more expressive with words, which is probably why he's so popular. Benedict brings out the side of Sherlock that's caring, and you can tell by HOW he says things. Where when he says it, you know exactly what he's trying to say without him actually SAYING it. You've even seen it. "I don't have friends, I've just got one." It's more implied that it's John, at this point in the show. It's all about implication with this Sherlock, and usually if it seems like he's implying something when it comes to someone he cares about, he is. He's more direct when it comes to people he couldn't care less about, such as Anderson. 
Yes, body language is still intricately involved with this Sherlock, but it's less prominent with this Sherlock, but it still plays it's role in this Sherlock. It's just not AS significant. :) 
I love this Sherlock, too. Don't worry. He's just as awesome as Jonny's. But the reasons I like him are different than for Jonny's. This Sherlock reveals that he IS caring, which makes me love every Sherlock all the more. 


Hopefully this sheds some light on who each Sherlock is as a character. Thanks for reading. ^.^



No comments:

Post a Comment

No crude language and no negative comments. If ya can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.