Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Nine Lives of Chloe King Review


"The Nine Lives Of Chloe King" was the very first ABC Family show I ever watched. The story, based off the book of the same name, revolves around Chloe King, a teenager like any other. However, on her 16 birthday she starts getting catlike powers. Oh, and she falls off the Coit Tower and dies...and then she comes back to life! Chloe discovers that she's a Mai, a half-god, half-human descendants of the Egyptian cat goddess, Bastet. There's an evil organization called The Order who want the Mai dead. But Chloe is the Uniter, who is destined to bring peace between the Mai and the humans.

When I first saw "The Nine Lives If Chloe King, it had already been cancelled, so I had to go watch it on YouTube. I was thoroughly entertained after the first episode, and after the series was cancelled I was very disappointed. It was a pretty good show, and it really shouldn't have been cancelled-espeically after it left off as a cliffhanger.

Of course, it had its flaws like every show. And, since this post is an overview of it, I'll list the good things and bad things in this show.

One thing I absolutely loved about TNLOCK was the Mai storyline. After Greek mythology, Egyptian is my favorite. I loved the whole cat/human species that Chloe and her friends are, and I love the whole plot of her being the "Chosen One" to bring peace to the Mai. I especially loved The Order, because they think the Mai are dangerous species (one reason could be because they can't kiss humans without paralyzing/killing them). They were interesting villains who didn't seem purely evil.

I also loved the acting. It was really good. Skylar Sammuels surprised me when I saw her as Chloe; she was okay when she played the "Gigi" character in "Wizards of Waverly Place", but she just blew me away in this series. She could be fun, she could be sweet, she could cry...she was wonderful. The other actors are, too, but Chloe just stuck out to me because I didn't know how good Skylar was.

One of the biggest flaws in the show, however, was the romantic storyline. I don't mind love triangles too much (there was one between this guy named Brian, Chloe, and a Mai named Alek), but I don't like how it was the main focus of the story. Even the promos promoted the love story. It just takes away from the cool plot about the Mai, you know?

I also wasn't really big on the love triangle, either. I mean, it was interesting to an extent, but I'm not really into Brian and even Alek got on my nerves at times. Aside from his dad being in The Order, Brian was completely boring and a totally Gary-Stu. I do like how he was nice to Chloe, though, so that was nice, and his whole family history is really interesting (they're all involved with the Mai and Order somehow). Alek was a jerk sometimes, being hostile to humans, and got jealous easily, but I do love how he was protective of Chloe. Plus, he was funny and had way more personality than Brian. Too bad Chloe liked Brian more.

But aside from that, I loved the show. They had some awesome fight scenes (which is saying something, as I'm not usually into them), the acting was great as I had said, and I loved the whole Mai plot. I also loved Chloe's character, because she was so selfless and willing to help people-plus, she had her awesome moments in fighting and joked around a lot. I also loved Amy and Paul as Chloe's "sidekicks", so to speak (Paul is more of the comic-book geek than Amy, but she still helps her). I also loved Jasmine (another Mai and friend/protector of Chloe), and Valentina was interesting as well. And Chloe's relationship with her Mom-plus her mysterious history with her dad-was also enthralling.

I still hate how they cancelled the show. It ended with a  major cliffhanger; Jasmine and Valentia were shot with poisonous darts, some Mai working for the Order (Zane) told Alek he was his brother, Chloe got a call from her dad to meet with her, Brian kissed her and was supposedly dead (he could've been paralyzed), Brian's dad's assistant found out she was the Uniter and shot her, Brian's dad also was gonna make a deal with Chloe's mom (he's still unaware that she's the Uniter)...just SO many cliffhanging endings that it mad me furious that they ended it that way.

But I do understand how the ratings weren't as good (wish that wasn't the case) so ABC Family had to tank it. But I just wish they hadn't ended at a cliffhanger, or at least had resolved it (even if it was just one episode). But the show was good when it was running, and I'm glad ABC Family made it. I guess I'll just have to read the books or fan fictions to see what could have happened next…

No comments:

Post a Comment

No crude language and no negative comments. If ya can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.