Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lost Review


I didn't watch "Lost" when it first came out--I was only 7 in when it came out--but I started watching it on Netflix in 2011. While I have not finished the series, I am nearly halfway done with season 4; I think I've seen the show enough to rate it.

First off, let me say that the main reason I started watching "Lost"--as I have with many shows--is because of its popularity. I grew up hearing about the show even without seeing it herself. I didn't know the characters, and I didn't know the plot beyond people stuck on an island, but I knew about the show. I even know when it ended (2010, in case anyone's wondering), because it was probably one of the biggest finales in television history.

Now, on to the show. "Lost" is a very interesting, very strange series, but I'm a little addicted to it. Despite some frustrating things (the show is very, very confusing at times), the show manages to pull me in. Now I must admit that season 1-3 were the best, and season 4 and beyond don't look as good (two words: time travel), but overall "Lost" is a very good show.

One of the reasons I liked this show so much is because of the characters. Yes, some of them get on your nerves (*cough* *cough* Anna-Lucia *cough* *cough*), and some of them are just useless (*cough* *cough* Nikki and Paulo *cough* *cough* Shannon and Boone), but overall the majority of them are very compelling. These characters are very, very fleshed out, and their layers have layers. You think you know the characters, but they continue to surprise you until after the first season; actually, some of them still surprise you after that.

Of course, there are problems with the show, the biggest one being the plot. It is intriguing, yes, but it's so confusing at times! You would think a show about castaways would be simplistic, but no! The writers have managed to come up with some of the craziest, more ridiculous storylines I have ever come across. There is a black smoke monster--yes, a monster--that seemingly eats people; there are cursed numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42) that cause very bad luck; the Island can cure people's illnesses and diseases; later seasons include fast forwards (they enter the future) and flash sideways (don't ask me--I haven't seen them yet); there is time traveling, which has never made sense... it's very, very crazy, and I sometimes have to question my sanity and why I am still watching the show.

Another problem with "Lost", though it is on a much lower lever, was the POVs. There are many characters in the show, but most of the time, there is an episode centered on that one person. I get why they do it--it advances their characters development--but it's kind of hard to do that when you have an assemble cast. I think you can still have an episode centered on the person, but you could also have the other characters doing a lot. What I'm trying to say is that it sometimes seems as if the person is working independently rather than together with the other cast members, and I love show with a large group of people.

This is a more of a personal thing, but the flashbacks got on my nerves at times. Sometimes it was just boring to go from the current time to go back to the flashbacks. Maybe they just weren't as interesting as being on the island for me, but I remember that I was skipping them at one point. I guess I just feel as if the show has too much going on sometimes.

Overall, though, I enjoy "Lost". I wouldn't consider myself a megafan, but I am a fan. The show is just so intriguing; despite the confusing plot lines, it pulls you in. You want to know what happens next, because the mystery is just so bewildering that you have to find the explanation for it. That's "Lost" for you, folks: anything but normal.



2 comments:

  1. My mom and I tried to watch at least ONE episode of that show and we were like, "meh". Wasn't for us.
    As you know, we were huge fans of OUAT up to the third season. The writers were just getting desperate and basically doing Lost all over again. So they do tend to get sloppy and copy themselves and others.

    IDK, I just hate islands and island troubles. XD And I just felt that the show lacked any real excitement from what I saw. And you're right, it was VERY confusing. I had no clue what was going on. ;_;

    ~Character Queen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I haven't gotten back to it in awhile (I'm only season 5). After season 3 it started dropping in quality. It is very crazy, but I guess the mysteries just pulled me in. They've got me asking so many questions that I just can't stop watching XD But you know, to each their own. And it is a very confusing show, I'm surprised I can even keep up with what's going on half the time :P lol

    ReplyDelete

No crude language and no negative comments. If ya can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.