Monday, March 10, 2014

Favorite Male Characters


Okay, so I know I did favorite female characters a day ago, so today, I'm doing favorite male characters :) There are so many characters to choose from, but I tried to narrow them down to my absolute favorites. So, ladies and gentleman, here are the ones that came to mind:

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, Star Wars



Explanation: Anakin is such an interesting character to me. Most remember him as Darth Vader, the heartless, coldblooded robot who has no compassion. He's creepy because he seems so inhuman, so emotionless, and I think this is why I, among many others, find him so appealing. But as Anakin, I also see him as a man who's extremely conflicted. Deep down I believe that he wants to do the right thing but he struggled with his inner demons, his greatest weakness, which, I think, was fear. He was such a passionate, driven person and very emotional--once he found someone he connected to, he felt the emotions for the person very deeply. But he couldn't control those emotions and that led him to darkness--it led him to letting go of everything and becoming one of the most dangerous, emotionless villains we know today. And that's why Anakin is such an interesting character to me. Rarely do you see a hero who falls into darkness, and even rarer do you see such an evil side to them that seems so far away from who they used to be, but also so very close. I can see the selfless, loving person he truly is. I know he's not even real, but I relate to that, and that is why I love him so much.

Loki Laufeyson, Thor



Explanation: Okay, Loki's so awesome in so many ways that it's hard to narrow down. Put simply, Loki's got swag to the max. He's cunning, snarky, power hungry, attention-seeking, but manages to pull it off in a cool way. Anything he says can sound logical, even if he's saying something that doesn't make any sense. But at the same time, Loki is also very vulnerable. He feels unloved, unwanted, and is envious of Thor, whom he feels is more loved by their father than him. He's so insecure that he can't see that Odin loves them both, and after Loki discovered that he wasn't related to Odin biologically in the first film...it broke his heart. To Loki, this proved that he wasn't loved, that he really was the "unwanted" child. And to me, that's extremely painful, but also meaningful. The fact that Loki can pull of superiority and also vulnerability is what makes him so compelling to me. Kudos to Tom Hiddleston for playing Loki so well. He's definitely my favorite character in Thor. I'm not crushing on the guy, but I will gladly join his army of fangirls who praise his awesomeness ;)

Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Spider-Man



Explanation: Spider-Man is just awesome. He's sweet, goodnatured, kindhearted, and, most importantly to me, tries to do the right thing. He doesn't always do it, and he struggles with it, which I find even more compelling and relatable. Because we don't always do what's best. Most of us try, but there are times when we fail. And I think that's what Spider-Man encompasses. His conscience is very strong. I also think he's filled with so much pressure to do justice, and if he fails he blames himself, and you can't help but feel his pain if you were in the same situation. There is no doubt that Spider-Man is one of my favorite superheroes.

Jack Sparrow, Pirates of The Caribbean 



Explanation: Jack just has SO much swagger (for lack of better words), and it's so hard to explain why I like him. He's just COOL. He's very laid back and extremely funny, and he just carries himself off as a cool guy. I guess coolness for me often equates to confidence, and I do see it in Jack. He can be a coward at times-usually for selfish reasons or fear of his life-but he's never really unsure of himself or insecure. In fact, he KNOWS he has swagger, but it's not a rude acknowledgement; just if, someone criticizes him, he tells them that he is awesome-because he is. Jack is defiantly one of my favorite characters (oops, I believe there should've been a "captain" in there)

Tobias "Four" Eaton, Divergent



Explanation: Tobias (or Four, whichever you prefer) is just an interesting character to me. His past wasn't all daises and flowers, so he can come across as hard in strict. He does so further by pushing the initiates to do their best. But he's not cruel like Eric; he's pushing them because he has faith in them. He also is very protective of Tris, but he doesn't show it by saying, "Don't hurt Tris!" or "Leave her alone!" He tells off Peter, for example, for bullying Tris as an act of immaturity and fear of her power-ouch! Plus, he CAN get romantic with Tris and does so in a romantic way. Unlike many male love interests in female-centric stories, I feel like Four has more personality and flaws. He may be my favorite character in the Divergent series. And he's very swoon-worthy. Trust me ;)


Okay, so that's my list of favorite male characters :) But it's just my opinion, of course. I'd love to here others' opinions on it, so feel free to comment below! :)

2 comments:

  1. Loki FTW. And who doesn't love Jack Sparrow? And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who still loves Peter Parker from the original trilogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Loki totally rocks ;) And Jack Sparrow--well, he's just Jack (and I believe there should be a "Captain" in there ;)

      I loved Tobey's Spider-Man. He's more like the Spider-Man I grew up with (I watched the 1994 animated series). Nothing against Andrew's Spidey, he was good, but sometimes he was kind of a jerk :P I prefer Raimi's version of him :)

      Delete

No crude language and no negative comments. If ya can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.