Saturday, July 18, 2015

Terminator: Genisys review by The Character Queen


(WARNING, contains spoilers!)

Since I was a baby, and I mean baby, Arnold and his movies have always been a part of my life.
Baby me was mega easily entertained by him, probably because he reminded me of my dad.
I LOVED his movies, but especially the Terminator films.
So yeah, I'm a pretty big Terminator fan.
Seeing the newest one as a full-fledged 20 year old with my mom and pops, a series that I've loved since my baby years, was quite the 'wow' experience. I felt old.
Same thing with Jurassic World.
My generation didn't go to the theaters to see the originals, we just watched the movies as either VHS' or DVDs. And we grew up with them and came to love them.
Then long-awaited sequels come about.
And suddenly you're an adult, going to the theater, seeing the series you grew up with, maybe you have a kid or two of your own, and a new generation of fans springs up.
It's pretty amazing, in my book.

So yeah, seeing Terminator was really special to me.
I liked the last one with Christian Bale, it was pretty good. The third one I choose to not even speak of.
But this one was just pure awesomeness.

First of all, the casting. The casting was half of perfect.


Having Arnold was a must.


Emilia Clarke made a PERFECT Sarah Connor. Seriously, sometimes, she looked just like her.
This was actually the first time I've seen anything from her and Jai Courtney, and they're pretty good actors.


Now Jai, I probably would've gone with someone who looked a little more like Michael Biehn.
But Jai did a really good job with what he had and made a convincing Kyle.


Jason Clarke also did a pretty good job as John Connor.
My parents were the most effected by his casting. I honestly have never cared who they pick for John, so it didn't faze me. My favorite portrayal of him will always be the Edward Furlong one, but I guess that's just because I've watched that one since I was a mini-me.

Now for the terminators.

THE ASIAN TERMINATOR.
I need him back, because he was awesome. I was really expecting him to show up again near the end or even at the part where they went down to the time machine.
I was rather disappointed he didn't turn up again, cuz his appearance was rather brief.
So hopefully they bring him back for the sequel they have promised me.
Lee Byung-hun made a pretty cold and callous T-1000 and that pleases me.
I loved him as Storm Shadow....and that was pretty much the only thing I could carry any knowledge of him by when I walked into the theater. XDDD
I was all like, "STORM SHADOW IS A TERMINATOR, BWA BWA BWA"

And no, I will not talk about the Arnold terminator, not yet.


The John terminator.
Ok, ok, ok.
Love it or hate it, I loved the concept. Turning humans into terminators was a brilliant twist in the Skynet department and I hope they explore that more in the future.
John made a rather good villain in his own right. Especially because he was Sarah's son and all and had all that knowledge of her. It's like...crap. My son is the villain.
The robotic part of him looked awesome and I want more of it. XD
What would be cooler with it, though, is if they brought John back and reprogrammed him so that he fights with the others. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE AWESOMENESS.
Him and the Guardian can like, do so much coolness together, ugh. I would love that.
GRANDPA AND GRANDSON BATTLE PARTNERSHIP.
DO YOU HEAR ME.
I NEED THIS.


Now for Skynet.
The actual legit embodiment of Skynet.
A.K.A. Matt Smith.
A.K.A. Doctor freaking Who.
That would've made an excellent crossover joke, btw.
John: Doctor!
Skynet: Doctor who?
yes, yes..

That was a clever twist, what they did with him.
People were critical of his portrayal and his accent, but I think he did an excellent job with both.
And am I the only one finding any humor out've him being Skynet and dealing with time machines and basically not being HUMAN again??
In his beginning stage, they showed him as a type of hologram, but in the future, he's pretty fleshy.
So something obviously happens there.
I hope he reprises his role. It was brief, but I think it served as more of a cameo or, rather, an introduction.
And he was all like, "I was the Doctor. Now I'm Skynet. Deal with it."

And they pretty much added all the main terminators in this, too.
So if you're a fan of one from the other movies, you're bound to see a good amount of them in this one.


Now, for the O'Brien character. I loved what they did with that bit.
I knew there had to be a reason why they let him lived in the past. At first, I thought, "Why are you leaving him behind?! He'll be killed!", but the Asian Terminator wound up not touching him.
So when his older portrayal turned up, my initial thought was that he was future Silberman, who my parents and I have complete disgust over, but nope. I payed attention to the dialogue between the cops in 1984 and noted the name "O'Brien", so when the agents called the detective "O'Brien", I was like, "AHA!"
iz the cop. And having him in there, helping them, was pretty cool. ^_^

As for the movie itself, it was so good. Pay no attention to the people who seriously are not pleased with ANYTHING. Every time a new movie or anything comes out, I swear, I always hear such criticism of it and it's like, guys, seriously, shut up. Enjoy something for once in your life.
I loved this one. I wouldn't love it if it was a total disaster. It was certainly an improvement of the third one we shall not speak of.
The plot and everything was GOOD. They totally pulled a Star Trek, too, and altered the timeline and everything so that now, it's like a reboot, but not. Now they have the freedom to do as they please.
I saw it more as a second chance for characters. (well...except poor John)
The Arnold character is basically like the one from Terminator 2 and that one died, and this one sort've died, but didn't. And Sarah Connor had a screwed up life and had her head messed up because of all the crap humans put her through, but in this, she didn't have to go through all that because the Arnold Terminator protected her. Granted, she lost her parents when she shouldn't have, but still..
And Kyle. I mean, dude, he's famous for being Sarah's squeeze that died.
But here, he has another go at life and can live and I love that.

Now...
THE PART I DIDN'T WANNA SPEAK OF, BUT HAVE TO, THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SARAH AND THE ARNOLD TERMINATOR WAS COOL, BUT NOT COOL.
Cool because, it was mega tons of sweet and basically a recurrence of what John had with the one sent to protect him and the father-daughter thing was just fantastic and well handled.
BUT....NOT COOL BECAUSE IT'S LEGIT LIKE MY DAD AND I AND I WAS NOT AMUSED.
It's like they stalked us.
Remember that bit about baby-me growing up with Terminator and the part where Arnold reminded me of my dad? SEE, yeah. Sarah is first of all a Sarah and they toughened her up and she was awesome and my parents state she's like me. And then the Arnold character is so totally my dad.
And then he winds up protecting her and raising her and did you see all the little pictures and the drawings he had up? Ok, MY DAD RIGHT THERE.
And let's get something straight here, you dO NOT COPY PET NAMES LIKE POPS THAT I GIVE TO MY DAD, HOW DARE YOU.
and at the end when he says, "my Sarah", WHAT THE CRAP IS THAT ABOUT.
yes, I cried.
I tried not to, but I cried.
stupid stalking film makers.

The parts also with young Kyle was so beyond amusing, and I laughed when him and his parents examined older Kyle and were all like, "We've never seen before, but he looks familiar". XDDD
Time travel nonsense at it's best.
And I personally found the bit where Sarah helped out young Kyle pretty cool.
I always love it in time traveling situations, where two characters who love eachother come across eachother's younger selves and it's like, "You're gonna marry them someday". ;P
I don't know why, it just amuses me greatly.
Especially at the part where young Kyle's all like, "I like her." And older Kyle was like, "Yeah, me too."
I laughed. Such humor.

Now for the little parental guidance bit.
If you're planning to see it and would like to know about these things, I shall tell you..
As far as I know (since I left briefly to go to the b-room during the helicopter scene), it had only one f word and that was when the original Arnold terminator approached the three punks.
In the same sentence, he says 'a-hole'.

There are frequent uses of  the s word, but not too many times and not all at once, they're a bit scattered.
The most notable times is when the T-1000 and Kyle are in the same room as Sarah and she has to choose which one is Kyle and she says it I think twice there.
Kyle uses it after dealing with a terminator close to the same time as that scene.
And there are a few g-d's, one said by the FBI agent when questioning Sarah and Kyle in the hospital, then a couple in the same sentence said by O'Brien when he looks into a security camera room.
I'm sure there are more things said, like frequent h words and probably a couple more s', but those are the most prominent that I mentioned. I can't really remember the rest.

Since in this version of time-traveling everyone has to be..ahem..nude, the characters WILL be without clothes. And Sarah also has a go at it this time.
But for the most part, you barely see anything and what parts you would visibly see, things are darkened.
They were pretty discreet with the matter.

And of course, there's lots of robotic violence and a lot of shooting, but nothing gets too gory.
It's the usual stuff in a Terminator film. ;P

That's all I can really say. I seriously loved it and found it to be a perfect summer film if you love lots of action and explosions. Plus it's a great new addition to the Terminator family.
I would give it a rating of 8/10. If you question my rating, I don't care. I loved it and I give things I love good ratings. XDDD

Now stop lingering here and go see it, you fools!!



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjAqrhwXw-bOk9ZU00C-6yyczzvIyw1iXTUlMCiw9ZeJLwHKcvJ81CHQC1PmVmNKRwIZOt7hrOHLZbCK19UM9JJpqqmhO1IkL-eMyQUCDMnWsf3h4A4GA3OEcA6MHa-zgkvnxrBctGwsg/s1600/A68DD3A47E01C7B2E7AD972B4EA2415D.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

No crude language and no negative comments. If ya can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.