Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Why video games are actually quite frankly amazing


I know a lot of people have this very vicious stereotype that video games don't 'have a storyline' and that they're just for nerds. I'm fully aware of the hate or disinterest video games get from them. I've been aware of it ever since I knew what a video game even was.

Well I'm here to tell you, being someone who loves entertainment of all formats, that video games have some of the best storylines out there.

Sure, in the beginning, video games were corny little inventions to help pass the time and many of them DIDN'T have much of a plot to brag about. They gave you a mission and you followed it. Just like you would in a board game. Over the years, however, video games have grown into so much more. While things like Mario still stick around to keep especially the kiddies entertained and has a fair amount of plot that would match up with that of a cartoon, things like The Legend of Zelda, Halo and especially Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts have some of the best and most beautiful storylines out there, in my opinion. The characters created are amazing and many backstories are so deep and unexpected. The creators of these games even today try their best to bring in people who have their doubts. Who disbelieve that games have a plot. They strive to improve the graphics and material to make them seem real-like.
I might add that video games are basically like movies and shows, it's just that YOU can control where the story goes. YOU are the hero. 

Many video games have been converted into movies very nicely.
Advent Children, for instance, is one of my all-time favorite movies, as well as Wreck-It Ralph.
Halo: Forward Unto Dawn was brilliant. (and it even has Susan Pevensie!)



Video games can also teach you alot. They've been proven to help kids' puzzle-solving skills and interaction to things.

I might just be very easy to please when it comes to stuff, but I grew up with video games and had the love of them instilled in me, so I honestly can not even imagine what life would be like without some of the characters found in so many of the classics.
I know if more people caved in and just played, they'd really love it.
I always have a respect for folks who promote games so positively and encourage others, including the type that doubt, to play. Folks such as the awesome Robin Williams and Zachary Levi, for example.


Robin and Zelda


Zachary
Robin even named his daughter after Princess Zelda, for pete's sake.

So yes, games have had a large impact in character society. They have amazing characters and plots and the graphics are getting better and better, even though I've never been too picky on graphics to begin with.
Still, there's some really great stuff out there that people would really enjoy. There's games ranging from every scenario, every type of character, every type of plot, I'm sure you'll find something to get into.
Games even get created based on movies.

So please give them a chance. You have no idea what you're missing out on-- games are incredible things and I know you'll agree if you just pick up a controller and take a leap. :)

So with that, are you a gamer? If so...what's your favorite game? ^.^

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjAqrhwXw-bOk9ZU00C-6yyczzvIyw1iXTUlMCiw9ZeJLwHKcvJ81CHQC1PmVmNKRwIZOt7hrOHLZbCK19UM9JJpqqmhO1IkL-eMyQUCDMnWsf3h4A4GA3OEcA6MHa-zgkvnxrBctGwsg/s1600/A68DD3A47E01C7B2E7AD972B4EA2415D.png

2 comments:

  1. I don't consider myself much of a gamer, but I do enjoy games like the Lego franchises because they're usually easy-to-follow instructions and are just fun. I find the same thing with Mario games :) And you can definitely learn problem-solving from them - it's not just action or whatever all the time.

    But I totally agree with you that video games can have interesting story lines. Heck, sometimes I wanted to play a game just because of the storyline itself! I guess that could be in the writer in me, but don't we all enjoy a good story? It was the main reason I bought the Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic game (which I still haven't finished - it's just so hard!) And I haven't played Kingdom Hearts or Zelda, but they sound like they have interesting stories as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I comment on this even though it's like a month and a half old? Because I adore video games and this post is spot on. Games are one of my favorite modes of storytelling because of how interactive and immersive they are. You don't just watch the heroes save the day, you *become* the hero and save the day yourself.

    I don't really consider myself a gamer because I don't play that many different games (just the same ones over and over, hahaha), but some of my favorites are the Mass Effect games, The Stanley Parable, and the Bioshock series. In fact, Bioshock Infinite, the third game, actually broke me. I can't think about it too long or I might start crying. It's fantastic and I love it. :D

    ReplyDelete

No crude language and no negative comments. If ya can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.